Ready for Summer?
Here's a easy project to get you in the mood for a day at the beach!
You will need:
Joy® Iron-on embroidered white, dyeable letters
A wooden sign
A large starfish
Acrylic pain in white, brown, blues and blue-greens.
Assorted dry brushes
Hot glue gun
- Prop your sign up on something to make for easier painting.
- Brush each color of paint across the sign, slightly overlapping into the next colors space.
- Use a photo of the beach/ocean for reference.
- Brush the paint side to side. Its OK to leave some wood exposed.
- Keep painting until you reach the sand, (brown paint), then switch to a new 'dry' brush.
- Allow some of the 'wood' to show through when you are painting the sand.
- Touch up the horizon with some dark blue paint.
- Add some vague clouds if desired.
- With a smaller dry brush, add a little bit of white paint to mimic some distant waves.
- When the paint is dry to touch, hot glue the rope around the sides and attach some at the back for hanging.
- Use a quick drying adhesive to adhere the letters in place, pressing down for a few seconds per letter.
- Finish your beach sign by hot gluing the star fish in place.
You can find Joy® embroidered, iron-on letters, letter sheets and appliqués at your local craft stores.